According to the reports issued by the American Cancer society for the year 2010, there were about 1,529,560 new cases were registered in hospitals and clinics of United States of America. Out of existing patients suffering from various types of cancer, 569,500 patients died. Dividing that by number of days in a year, each day almost 1,500 patients are dying due to cancer. The conditions are so bad that one out of every four person dying in America is due to cancer only. It has become one of the deadliest diseases in the country.
The figures are alarming. They are only depicting the conditions of a country like the US, which is supposedly one of the most developed economies of the world. For economies that are underprivileged and do not have sufficient medical care, the situation would be worse.
Cancer is a malignant disease in which the natural process of regeneration of cells in human body undergoes a drastic change. These cells continue to grow uncontrollable leading to formation of a lump like structure. Certain cancer tissues are also described as ulcers while they actually are a result of excessive multiplication of cells.
Types of Cancer A cancer is classified by the area in which there is an uncontrolled growth of cells. Common cancer types include
- Prostate cancer: Prostate cancer originates in the prostate gland which is present in a man\'s reproductive system. Prostate cancer is the third most common types of fatal cancers in men especially after attaining the age of 75
- Lung cancer: It starts from lungs and is frequently transmitted to other parts of the body such as bones. It is a common disease in both males and females.
- Colon cancer: Colon cancer is also known as colorectal cancer. It is one of the few cancers that can be completely treated provided doctors find out during its initial stages.
- Breast cancer: Starting from the breast, this is the most common type of cancer in females, especially after the age of 40. Men can also suffer from breast cancer.
- Cervical cancer: Throughout the world, cervical cancer is the third most common type of cancer amongst women. This cancer originates in the female reproduction system
- Hodgkin\'s lymphoma: It is the cancer in the lymph tissues of the body. is can be triggered by fatigue and often starts as a minor swelling in the lymph nodes.
- Kidney cancer: Also known as renal cancer, it starts in the renal tubes of the body. It leads to kidney malfunction and failure. Kidney cancer can be easily transmitted via blood to other parts of the body.
- Leukemia: Literal meaning of the word is white blood. This cancer starts in the blood cells of the body when WBC\'s in blood start to multiply uncontrollably. It is one of the most fatal kinds of cancer and infects the whole body due to circulation of infected blood.
Treatment for Cancer
Had cancer been curable, it would not have claimed so many innocent lives. This disease is practically incurable unless detected in the inception stage. Since cancer is caused by uncontrolled growth of cells, all its treatments revolve around externally terminating these un-required cells in the body. This growth can be controlled by surgically removing the infected organ. This step will only help in case the body could survive even in absence of that organ. In less fortunate cases, patients resort to chemotherapy and radiation which involve the use of chemicals and radio waves to eliminate cancerous cells. Otherwise, medicines can also be used for the same purpose.
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com/cancer-articles/cancer-types-and-treatments-4794772.html
About the Author
Clinically, Avastin is one of the most widely used cancer drugs. It can be used for various types of cancers such as colon or rectal cancer, lung and kidney cancer. It is also beneficial for patients suffering from breast cancer.